Blooming Where Planted

Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving Briefing

We had a fantastic Thanksgiving with Greg's family at the farm. I really liked the way his mother helped do the table settings -- below is a picture. My mother-in-law did pilgrim hats with chocolate cookies, peanut butter cups, and frosting to add the needed touches -- I really thought it was the neatest thing!

I rode out to the farm with my two sister-in-laws late on Wednesday night, since all the boys had gone out early. Really was such a great trip and made the 3hr drive much faster! I also had a first since I'd moved to the Springs -- it took me 2hrs to get from downtown to end of Castle Rock! Now, for those of you who don't live here, normally that is about a 30-40 minute drive. Oh yea, and then I still had most of Denver to drive before the sister's house. Thank goodness I had my toll transponder and drove in the commuter lane the entire time. I felt like I was in New York again with the traffic that I was putting up with!! Grid lock is not the norm for Colorado. But all in all, we arrived at the Farm around 123oam --a few starbucks and dinner at Red Robin later!


This Thanksgiving has been rather hard for me. My Grandpa passed away last weekend. He had been sick from a cold and had alzheimer's for about 5yrs. But still, it was hard for me to just realize that Grandpa is gone -- he is up in Heaven laughing and telling his jokes and his mind is whole. I loved him so very much. I'd never really seen him with the alzheimer's because he was put in a nursing home when I was still working Overseas and when I quit doing that it took until last year to be able to go visit him. My cousin and I drove up last week on my only day in town to see my Grandpa in the hospital and I'm so very glad that I got to hold his hand and talk to him one last time. I am just grieving much more than I thought I would -- yesterday we walked into Greg's Grandparents house and it had that same "farm" smell that my Grandpa's did and I lost it; I was so overcome by emotion all of a sudden. You can read a small article and see his picture here. His service will be on Tuesday and I will be doing music with my cousin. Am ready to do the service and to say 'good bye'.


Today we left the farm and drove a few hours to see my family -- I will probably stay here most of the week. Am excited for the rest and time with my family. Though tomorrow is going to be cold, I think we will brave it to make the CSU/TCU game!

Labels: ,

--------------------oOo--------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home