Blooming Where Planted

Sunday, August 27, 2006

More Reading...More Landscaping

So we have been spending the entire summer getting our yard put in -- front and back. Today we FINALLY got the sod started. We will finish tomorrow (with the wonderful help of my family) and have green stuff in our front and back yard! Plus, we will be able to put the fence back up which means that we can FINALLY get Milo off his chain and let him run freely about the backyard.

Inbetween all this landscaping I've been putting off all my reading for my MSW requirements. Yea, no big deal until yesterday when I realized, "I have tests and seminars coming up in less than a month with no breaks till December and I have 3 books to read!" This is now a problem, as I am not too keen on doing homework at 9pm at night, and well, quite frankly I am just tired of school. So, I will be reading Bridges out of Poverty by Ruby Payne(along with the workbooks), finishing up Framework: Understanding Poverty by the same author; along with The Working Poor by Shipler and The Tragedy of American Compassion (and at this point I cant remember anymore authors names! lol) Oh yea, and I will be posting my thoughts from Fridays seminar "Fatherhood in Child Welfare." I honestly thought that was the best simulation and seminar I;ve been to yet with the county for traning. I am learning so much about the American system and enjoying it,. When I went to school to study international cultures, I thought they would be more interesting and challenging. However, I am learning that America is just as challenging to assess with families and class as any other culture. And what a blessing for me to actually be in an occupation that I went to school for! For this I consider myself very blessed. Its been almost 3yrs since I've done Culture Assessment, but it has been like riding a bike -- you never forget!

So the next few months will be lots of thoughts as I complete these books. And hopefully I will have pics to post of our completed yard by the end of this weekend! (and if we're lucky with weather, we'll have trees and shrubs by next weekend!)

Labels: ,

--------------------oOo--------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home